Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Thankful Christmas?

ok, I have missed posting because we have been sick, busy, tired...so get ready i have been sitting on this one for a while. I promised in "Thankfulness or lack of it" several weeks ago that i was going to work on being more thankful- that is why the Graham family was going to base our devos on it for a full month (because I NEEDED it-funny how we intend these for our children and God has a different idea)

We are reading Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges with our community group (amazing book that is about examining the sin in my life that is subtle or even acceptable to me as opposed to concentrating on the obvious sins of others/society... it challenges me to deal with my "respectable" sins such as pride, discontentment, self control, and impatience with the same severity i do the flagrant sins of others). yeah- fun!

So.. one of our favorite verses was 1 Thessalonians 5:18, "give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus". I worked on being thankful by not (...trying not) to get irritated and frustrated when we are late. There are many other things throughout each day - toothpaste all over the sink upstairs EVERYDAY, children who don't want to sleep, wrestling....(all the things others do to ruin the plan i had for my day). Yeah, remember when I talked about my selfishness....ouch!

Right after our family devo was about thankfulness we read the chapter on unthankfulness (no coincidence, huh?) In this chapter he makes this amazing connection from 1 Thessalonians giving thanks in all circumstances even those i do not feel thankful about to Romans 8:28-29. Because in Romans Paul tells us, "We know that in all things God works for the good of all those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose." God directs the outcome of my circumstances for my good and His glory (even when i am angry, was unjustly treated, or wronged by another).


So in learning to be more thankful in all circumstances, I pray this season i will thank God when things go awry and do not go the way i had hoped. I pray i will, by faith, thank Him that He is transforming me into the likeness of His Son. When the Christmas card picture is not a picturesque scene of 4 boys living in harmony, our annual visit to the Arboretum is not defined by skipping gleefully down the winter wonderland, or someone tells grandma that is NOT what they wanted...i will thank Him for giving me the MANY chances to develop my Christian character and those of our boys. To rid our lives of being defined by what we get and not what we give (selfishness).

This season is not about my circumstances or selfish desires but thanking God for the gift of His Son/our Savior so my sin is washed away. My obvious sins and the ones i am just so used to i don't even recognize...

No comments: