Friday, September 19, 2008

Am I really an ADULT?

OK, so i am sitting at a very pleasant dinner with six of the most incredible friends i know on a patio enjoying the cool weather. We are sipping on great wine and i am not apologizing for my toddler, wiping any ones mouth, or "negotiating" with a child about food that actually has nutrients- it was a wonderful night out without my children! FYI- there were 22 children represented by the 7 mothers at the table. Our ever so kind waiter was doing a phenomenal job balancing checking in on us and pestering us. Then it happened- the bomb hit. i could forget the first or maybe even the second - but not the third time he called us MA'AM! i am OK with being old (Mason -the oldest- will be legal to drive me home from my 41st birthday party-ouch) i am slightly intimidated about being an adult. This waiter was not a highschooler, he was also an adult - hairy beard and all (not flesh colored for all you Talk Soupers-Lynn).

Adulthood is scary- it means i am the one they call when there is need for a superhero, i am the one who helps her parents get groceries when they are sick, i have to do science projects and pretend my kid came up with the idea (just kidding dad). I have 4 kids and have avoided adulthood for some time. Adulthood means you stop seeing life with the star sunglasses you get in every birthday party bag, it means realizing you are as nuts as your next door neighbor. You probably have a friend who will someday be "the crazy lady down the street" - and you embrace them.

Luckily, the Lord has bleesed me with amazing friends to enter into adulthood with - and welcome me there since i have been in denial for some time. Thank you!

1 comment:

Cat said...

Ok, so he did say ma'am quite a bit, but I have to say, your back was to him, youngin! He was lookin straight at grandma over here! Happy to plunge into adulthood, or anywhere else, with you my sweet friend...
love,
the crazy lady down the street